Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Division of Politics Along the Continuum of Liberal to Conservative

I find it difficult to understand the purely arbitrary distinction between modern liberals and conservatives, within the sphere of the politic. It seems to be based on such contradictory and niggling issues as marriage equality, the current war against terror (though admittedly I find the name of said war is not without a certain irony), the method by which citizens are taxed, certain reforms concerning the health of the environment, and many others.

I am amused at those who level the complaint that the word 'liberal' is used as a slur, a defamation of character and belief. To those, I challenge you to remember a time when it was not; in my own tenure as President, and before, I regularly had to defend my own stance against those who would accuse me of having values too Democratic, or supporting the right of direct election from the people.

To me, then, the battle between 'conservative' and 'liberal' is simply another way to categorize the factions and deep divisions with American politics. By the standards to which I am accustomed, you are all liberal - radically so. Your distinction is but a tiny one on a continuum you are hardly aware of.

Moreover, there are none who would countenance peace or surrender to terrorists; the battle about marriage equality has no place in the state, as one side is almost purely defined by a religious position; taxes could be lower overall were the government to reduce its attempted sphere of influence and control; and the health of the environment is an obvious matter of responsibility and citizenry, and should not be subject to such argument and dissonance as it is.

I hold little hope, however, that this country will cease its overuse of the 'conservative' and 'liberal' epithets and instead let cool intelligence prevail; it has shown no history of such so far.

2 comments:

  1. I have been following your musings with great interest. I agree with some of your ideas, but not everything. But I read it all, and try to see your point of view.

    Which, I fear, you will find a great disappointment as far as the rest of America is concerned. A large majority of Americans seem to believe in the First Amendment of free speech...as long as the speech dovetails with their own beliefs. If not, you are reduced out of hand with such epithets as "wingnut", "liberal/conservative nut job" etc, without listening to anything else you have to say. The bitterness with which we divide ourselves would disillusion even a true patriot such as yourself.

    You say that we are liberal compared to you, which I do not not doubt. And yet history views you as a liberal in your own day and time. I wonder then, what true conservatives from your era would see in the country they have created, and how aghast they would be. And whether there would be a Second American Revolution - led by your compatriots in order to return to the ideals on which you founded this nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would hardly expect another to agree with me in all I say; however, I very much wish civil discourse to be the order of the day. I hold such dislike for the upset and disjointed nature of argumentation.

    In truth, I have endured my share of those who accuse me of excess liberalism. It gives me great relief to know that, now, my own beliefs are under few reproaches from such a direction.

    I doubt they would support such a new revolution. Indeed, revolution would likely be ineffective on such a culture as this one. This eventuality was hardly what we expected, nor what we wished for, but it has created a long, stable government (and I suppose Mr. James Madison would be quite pleased with the durability of his Constitution).

    The world is different, and my own generation failed to place an iron hold on the laws and customs of yours, as it should be.

    ReplyDelete