Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On the Qualifications of a Mr. Barack Obama for President of the United States of America

As this blog is new, and therefore does not have many regular readers (though I prize unaccountably those whom it does), no doubt you are still unsure of the extent of my own political leanings, much less the party I would call my own or my approval for our newly inaugurated President. Indeed, I have never even mentioned which way I cast my own vote, which is the greatest indication of a man’s preferences. In order to rectify this state of affairs, I will dedicate this post to explicating my stance on the now-current president Barack Hussein Obama.

When I do lean partisan, I tend to favor the Republican Party, with great reluctance. I find the Democratic Party stance towards a larger, more controlling federal government not only imprudent but threatening; however, their favorability towards individual rights and their more coherent stance on separation of church and state leans me towards their side. As for the Republicans, their advocacy of the right of arms, and reduction of the power of federal government appeal to me. However, I am no typical Republican, nor would I be a typical Democrat, had I chosen that party.

As for the recent election: in my own views, Barack Obama is not half the ideal candidate he is made out to be.

The unprecedented popular support he enjoyed – indeed, the sweeping wave of new voters he rode comfortably to the White House – gives him what may be, and has been, termed a ‘mandate’ from the people. Such a mandate, and its heavy influences in the Senate and House of Representatives, the true location of the government of this country, cause unforgiveable danger to the institution of checks and balances within the Constitution.

The president has already taken an extraordinary amount of extra power from what was originally intended of the executive branch. Mr. President Obama continues that trend.

I cannot help but be similarly anxious by his method of entrance into office. His campaign was of swollen and crushing weight on the opinions of the electorate; once he pulled ahead, it was as though nothing short of an act of God could stop him, though Heaven knows Mr. McCain attempted valiantly. It became futile to speak out against him – indeed, foolish to even try. (Mr. McCain’s campaign was on the nose, just as Mr. Obama’s, but, unlike Mr. Obama’s, was run with unforgiveable clumsiness, not only insulting the people but failing to coherently insult his opponent.)

I do wonder how many voted in this election who ordinarily would not have, inspired by the crass quantity of Mr. Obama’s campaign commercials, his army of volunteers, and his popular charm. If it weren’t for the sheer overwhelming opposition to any government other than that of democracy among the citizens of this nation, I would indeed fear that Mr. Obama could declare himself king.

However, the main of my argument is now explained, I may turn to the question I have waited to answer. I did, indeed, cast a ballot on the 4th of November, 2008, though I remained undecided until the near eleventh hour before the election. While John McCain did not represent nearly the threat to the semi-autonomy of local government, Barack Obama did not seek to run on the strength of his record of military service alone; while Barack Obama used the weight of his fundraised fortune to eradicate resistance, John McCain attempted to court the weight of his own party by appointing a horrifically under-qualified beast of a vice presidential candidate.

In conflict, I finally chose Barack Obama, in hope that not only would he work towards eliminating the foolishly accrued national debt but that he would listen to his foes as well as his friends.

I do congratulate him, on becoming the first non-white President in this nation. May he lead us to prosperity and peace without sacrificing the ideals that our Constitution holds dear.

Signed: Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment